Saturday 16 May 2009

The coffee works!

Well I can report that I'm pretty sure that the coffee slug-repellant thing works. Look what happened to this here pumpkin plant. I didn't use enough coffee beneath the left-hand leaf. And this is what happens to your basil seedlings when you forget to put the coffee in altogether.

The only thing is that you need a lot of coffee. And if it rains you have to apply it again. But it's greener than comercial slug repellants. There's no way I can drink enough coffee for the whole veg patch so next week I'm off to Starbucks again for some more free stuff.

I know how it works. They can't handle the caffeine. I know how I feel after 3 cups of coffee. Lord knows how I'd feel after lying on a whole bed of the stuff. They must buzz for hours! Serves them right after all my salad seedlings they've had.

1 comment:

maryom said...

I generally just send my husband out to stamp on slugs with his boots (yes it does leave a mess on the path).Sometimes he collects them by the ton and drowns them in salt water but this is quite repulsive after a day or two.Fortunately we've had less problems this year, maybe due to the cold winter.greenfly and blackfly seem quite bad though.If you'd like to hear more, check out my gardening blog- http://maryomsgarden.blogspot.com